Cello no longer for sale.
Reluctant sale of a beautiful cello!
I am selling a very good quality student cello on behalf of a former student who sadly no longer has time to play. It has no internal maker’s label, but has been described as an instrument of Eastern European origin (probably Romania or Hungary) by the luthier who set it up in 2009. Roughly 30 – 40 years old. Ideal for intermediate to advanced players and in good condition. The cello has sustained some damage to its neck in the past, and has a surface crack on its left shoulder, both of which have been well repaired and are reflected in the low price. The repairs were carried out before it was purchased in 2008, but were carefully reinforced when it was fully set up and repaired in 2009. Apart from this and a few minor scuffs around the edges to be expected in an instrument of this age, it is in excellent structural condition with no body or seam cracks. The full workshop setup included the following work:
- Fingerboard shot (i.e. reshaped to even out grooves caused by wear)
- New bridge (Aubert adjustable foot bridge)
- New soundpost
- Tuning pegs reamed (to fit snugly and turn more easily in their holes)
- Topnut reshaped (to improve the evenness of the string action and preserve the life of the strings)
- It has been set up with lower string action for very comfortable playing.
- I also fitted a brand new set of D’Addario Prelude strings on 10 March 2014.
Included in the sale is a nickel-mounted brazilwood bow (octagonal shape), which has a small chip at the tip but is otherwise in good condition, and a sturdy Hiscox Lifelite hard case which is in used, but good condition.
The cello was valued at £750 by the luthier who carried out the set-up.
Sale price: £550.
More details in the video, or email me at email@example.com.